- Read, discuss, and critically analyze a variety of literary genres representing diverse cultures.
- Identify and evaluate moral and ethical decisions as illustrated through works of literature.
- Read, discuss, and evaluate nonfiction works and material (such as biographies, newspapers, technical manuals).
- Write standard English on both an informal and formal level in preparation for the work force and/or college environment.
- Apply the process approach to writing by prewriting and organizing ideas, and then writing, revising and rewriting to attain a finished product.
- Practice active listening and effective speaking skills.
- Experience and respond to cultural events within the community.
- Utilize traditional resources and technology to gather, process, analyze, and apply information and ideas, particularly in regard to research papers and oral presentations.
- Give sufficient, credible evidence to clearly support both independent and collaborative solutions.